hotel accommodations at the upgraded Ramada Inn room before heading out for the day….
what we’ve done a LOT of on this trip:
Tuesday (July 5) was probably the longest/hardest day of traveling because we knew there was nothing good at the end of the day other than a nice hotel room! We drove 775 and made it to a Holiday Inn in Madison, Wisconsin just around midnight.
- “Hooray! We’re home! We can get out!”“We’re just pretend[ing].” said Samantha at 7:08 p.m.
- “My macaroni and cheese is made of macaroni and cheese!” said Davey at dinner
Memories from the day?
- NO Starbucks and NO Caribou Coffee anywhere between Rapid City and Sioux Falls
- SD is as E.M.P.T.Y as WY
- The Missouri River is HUGE
- Lunch while driving thanks to PB&J (the kids) and a stop at a HyVee (grocery store) for the grown ups
- Potty break at the SMALLEST and MOST rinky-dink DQ we’ve ever seen (the bathroom was outside, attached to a different building, and was obviously added on to meet the building code!). We did, however, enjoy an ice cream treat while driving away, though it was dinner time!
- NO open rest areas in Minnesota. Seriously. None. It was a huge waste, too, b/c I saw several really neat play structures (complete with swings!) for the kids at some rest areas.
- Being passed by several semi trucks in WI while driving 5 mph OVER the speed limit, in the dark!
- Dinner at Perkins in LaCrosse, Wisconsin and running in the sand afterwards