monday: september 17th

food poisoning, to be exact. that’s what dave thinks i had (have?) and i have no other plausible explanations. i woke up at 4 a.m. and felt AWFUL. i was afraid davey was up and needed to be fed, but when i didn’t hear him at all, i crawled back in bed until i couldn’t stand it anymore. and then i was hugging the toilet bowl, dry-heaving. just when i would get it "calmed down" and crawl back into bed, i would begin to shiver and have to crawl out again to hug the porcelin bowl. not a fun experience, especially at 4 a.m.

dave got me a bucket so i could SIT on the toilet and not be afraid that i might puke all over the floor when the dry heaving began again. turns out, for the first time in my life, i really did have stuff coming out both ends at once. it was awful.

dave agreed to take care of davey and i eventually crawled back in bed where i got colder and colder and then fell asleep. around 6:45 a.m. dave headed off to work (after NOT returning to sleep from davey’s 4:30 a.m. feeding) and he wasn’t more than 15 minutes down the road when i called him back b/c both ends erupted again. i spent the next several hours alternating between sleeping, sitting on the toilet and leaning over a purple bucket.

fast forward to 4:30 p.m. (the current time). i am feeling a bit human again. all i’ve had to "eat" thus far today is 3 sips of ginger ale (two of them at room temperature), a swallow or two of room temperature water and a half a mug of peppermint tea. i think it was the tea that finally helped a bit. i’ve taken a shower, so at least i don’t look like death warmed over, though i don’t really have any color in my face.

but what i want to know is how to single parents do it? when they’re sick, who helps out with the wee ones? davey is only two months old. i did not have the physical strength (probably still don’t) to lift him out of his crib, let alone hold him and feed him every 3 hours. what would i have done without dave?

dave has been awesome today. i couldn’t have made it this far without him. he missed an all day meeting to stay home and care for our son. that’s sacrifice. and love. and i know he’s been frustrated off and on throughout the day (he’s currently wearing his THIRD shirt of the day since he’s not a fan of the davey spit-up look and smell) but he’s really handled it well. and he has stayed gentle and loving with our son.

so now begins my process of regaining strength. i have a feeling i’ll only be eating/drinking clear items today (i’m really looking forward eating jello once it sets – in about another two hours). and tomorrow i’ll start the "BRAT" diet (bland and easy to digest foods like bananas, rice, applesauce and toast). thank you to my dear friend, nurse anna, who has been an invaluable source of information to me today. my stomach thanks you!

4 thoughts on “poison

  1. yikes! ever heard of the roto virus? that’s what it sounds like to me…i had it once back at 3 springs and it was that awful, on-the-toilet-and-holding-a-puke-bucket-simultaneously kind of fun ordeal. glad you are regaining your strength and appetite…that’s def. the worst kind of sickness, whatever it was! love you!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>